Monday, November 18, 2013

Is the Crane Kick Real?




Fans of The Karate Kid ask me this question all the time. I even asked this question to my first instructor when I was eight years old. And before I continue, let me be clear. When I’m talking about the Karate Kid, I’m talking about the classic 1984 movie starring Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. Not the remake with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan.

But, back to the Crane Kick, is it real? It’s a fair question. Who doesn’t want to learn the Crane Kick? It looks cool in the movie, and as Miyagi said, “If done right, no can defend!”

So, is it real? Well... Yes and no.

The Crane Kick is a front kick, but with one knee raised at the starting point. The defender jumps, and the leg that was planted launches up to deliver the kick, while the leg that was initially raised lands back on the ground. In Shotokan Karate, there is a kick that looks like a double Crane Kick, prominently featured at the end of the kata Kanku Dai. It’s harder to execute than the Crane Kick, but it’s even more effective.

As for the name... no, in Shotokan Karate, there is no official Crane Kick.

So, back to the original question, is the Crane Kick real? The full answer is a qualified yes, because the moves are real. Will you learn the Crane Kick in a Karate class? No, not the way Mr. Miyagi taught it.

Before I conclude, I should probably also address Miyagi’s line about: “If done right, no can defend!” In truth, there are plenty of defenses for the Crane Kick. And if you don’t believe that, just check out the end of The Karate Kid Part II.


No comments:

Post a Comment